Michigan Personal Injury Attorneys
Personal Injury Claims
Looking to hire a personal injury lawyer in Michigan? Whether you or a loved one have been hurt due to a motor vehicle accident, dog bite, slip and fall, or other accident, West Michigan Injury Lawyers, PLC can help you file your claim and negotiate a settlement on your behalf, even if your case goes all the way to court. We are trial-tested, available 24/7, and willing to travel to you no matter where you are located in our state. Trust the Michigan personal injury attorneys with 75 years of combined legal experience to get you the medical care, monetary compensation, and justice you deserve.
Common Types of Accidents & Injuries
To bring a personal injury lawsuit, you must have been injured by the negligence or wrongdoing of someone else. We handle many types of accidental injuries at West Michigan Injury Lawyers, PLC.
The most common types of accidents that lead to personal injury claims are:
- Motor vehicle accidents involving cars, trucks, motorcycles, and/or pedestrians
- Slip and fall accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Dog bites
- Workplace accidents
- Wrongful death
Determining liability in a personal injury case can be complicated. Motor vehicle accidents, for instance, can be caused by numerous factors and have myriad results. For instance, if you are hit by a speeding driver, that motorist will likely be blamed and held accountable for your injuries due to their obvious recklessness. However, if you were taking an illegal left turn when you were hit by that speeding driver, you may be held partially at fault as well.
Car accidents aren’t always caused by other drivers, however. Your accident may be the result of a poorly designed road or a broken traffic signal. In cases such as this, the fault may fall on an entity such as the local government responsible for designing and maintaining those roads.
Our experienced personal injury attorneys will analyze the factors that contributed to your accident and collect evidence to prove how exactly you were injured and who is to blame. Whether a surgeon botched a procedure you entrusted them to perform correctly or a restaurant worker neglected to put out a “wet floor” after mopping causing you to slip and hurt yourself, we will ensure all responsible parties are held accountable.
The Types of Damages You Can Recover
If you have been injured at little or no fault of your own, it is up to the responsible party to pay for all of your accident-related expenses. These expenses, which are referred to as “damages,” may be tangible or intangible and vary somewhat on a case by case basis.
Damages that you are eligible to recover in a typical personal injury case include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- A portion of wages lost from missing work
- Compensation for pain and suffering
- Property damage or loss
- Emotional distress
Depending on the specific facts of your case, we will help you calculate how much you need to make the best recovery possible and fight to ensure you receive nothing less.
Ready to get started? Or want to ask questions? Give us a call at (855) 933-0102 to schedule your free consultation.
Your lawyer will help you navigate through the personal injury claims process. The steps and duration may vary depending on the facts of your case but should play out roughly the way we have laid it out below. Once you retain a lawyer, he or she will go over the process with you more thoroughly to fit your needs.
The major steps of a personal injury claim are as follows:
- Seek medical treatment: This is the most important part of any personal injury case. Not only can seeing a medical professional as soon as possible after your accident save your life, but medical records are also an essential component of personal injury claims. If you don’t go to see a doctor, the person you are suing (the defendant) might try to claim that you are faking your injuries.
- Record everything you can remember about the accident: If your injuries aren’t serious enough to require immediate medical treatment, take photographs of the accident scene and your injuries. If you don’t have the time or ability to do so, write down everything you can remember about how the accident occurred when you can while your memory is still fresh. Include the cause, date, time, location, and anything else you can think of.
- Consult a personal injury attorney: A Michigan personal injury lawyer will take a huge load off your shoulders by further investigating the accident on your behalf. An attorney will collect evidence supporting your case, assist you with insurance claims, help you calculate the damages you are owed, and conduct paperwork and other legal processes on your behalf. An attorney will also help you file your claim when it is ready.
- Discovery phase: The discovery phase of a lawsuit involves each party investigating the other side. Depositions of all relevant parties and witnesses will occur and paperwork and other steps may be involved as well. This process can last for up to a year depending on the local court’s timelines and the complexity of the case.
- Mediation and negotiation: Your lawyer and the defendant’s lawyer will discuss your settlement, either one on one or through a process called mediation.
- Trial: If a solution that works for you cannot be decided through negotiation or mediation, your case will go to trial. A trial can last anywhere from one day to many weeks. Trials also tend to get rescheduled or delayed. The process may be frustrating, but we will be by your side the whole time fighting to win you the fair and just compensation you deserve.
Very professional & informative- Shawn C.
They go above & beyond for you- Former Client
Thank you!- David S.
He’s the best in my book- Steve B.
Very knowledgeable & experienced- Tina F.
$625,000 Loss of Vision
Settlement for a man who suffered a loss of vision in his left eye, after falling from his bike, when his bike tire hit an excavated portion of sidewalk that had no markings, barriers, or warnings.
$500,000 Truck Accident
Ottawa County case settlement for mother injured in a contested liability trucking accident.
$500,000 Truck Accident
Muskegon County settlement for mother who was driving her children to have Christmas portraits done when a pick-up truck doing snow plowing backed in front of her vehicle.
$400,000 Drunk Driver
Newaygo County settlement for man seriously injured by a drunk driver.
$370,000 Auto Accident
Muskegon County settlement for Muskegon County resident seriously injured in a head-on auto accident.
$250,000 Truck Accident
Barry County settlement for man injured by an improperly parked pickup truck.
$245,000 Bus Accident
settlement for high school student injured as a result of severe spinal injury sustained while bus he was occupying struck something in the road to propel him out of his seat and suffer extensive spinal injuries.
$175,000 Car Accident
Kent County settlement for client injured as a result of rear-end auto accident.
$175,000 Car Accident
Kent County settlement for gentlemen injured in shopping plaza road head-on accident by young lady who was believed to have been texting or distracted.
$175,000 Truck Accident
Kent County settlement for young lady struck while in a ditch in a disabled car that spun out of control on snowy roads when a semi-truck also slid into the ditch.